[Haskell-cafe] object oriented technique

Yves Parès limestrael at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 20:06:21 CEST 2011

Actually, after thinking it back, I found out one other method. The key idea
is to split what is common to every shape with what is not:

data Circle = Circle { cr :: Double }
data Rectangle = Rectangle { rw, rh :: Double }

class Shapeful s where
    name :: s -> String
    fields :: s -> String

instance Shapeful Circle where
    name _ = "Circle"
    fields (Circle cr) = show cr

instance Shapeful Rectangle where
    name _ = "Rectangle"
    fields (Rectangle rw rh) = show rw ++ ", " ++ show rh

data Shape = forall s. (Shapeful s)
          => Shape { sx, sy :: Double,
                     inner  :: a }

drawShape :: Shape -> String
drawShape (Shape sx sy inner) = name inner ++ " (" ++ show sx ++ ", " ++
                                show sy ++ ", " ++ fields inner ++ ")"

list :: [Shape]
list = [Shape 10 10 $ Circle 5, Shape 40 40 $ Rectangle 12 10]

Since you loose the exact type of what contains Shape, your class "Shapeful"
must provide all the necessary information (but that is kind of usual in
Haskell).
The advantage here is that you generalize the position (sx and sy fields)
which are no longer duplicated within Rectange and Circle.