[Haskell-cafe] Iteratee, ghc 6.12/7.0 strange behaviour - epollControl: permission denied (Operation not permitted)

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 11:35:22 CEST 2011

> Message: 15
> Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 21:31:39 +0400
> From: Michael A Baikov <pacak at bk.ru>
> Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Iteratee, ghc 6.12/7.0 strange behaviour -
>        epollControl: permission denied (Operation not permitted)
> To: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
>

> I am still playing with lastest iteratee and i think i found something
> strange.
>

> let's suppose we have a file test.hs like this:
>
> import Data.Iteratee
> import Data.Iteratee.IO
> import Data.Iteratee.Char
>
> main = fileDriver printLines "/etc/passwd"
>
> It works fine when executed via runhaskell / ghci in ghc 6.12. Compiled
> version in ghc 7
> also works, but when i am trying to execute it via runhaskell / ghci i am
> getting this error:
>
> iter.hs: epollControl: permission denied (Operation not permitted)
>
> Any ideas?

Apologies, I won't have time to look at this for a few days.  However, could
you try a test using the functions from Data.Iteratee.IO.Posix directly?
 That would help narrow down the issue.  I suspect it's either a bug in
ghc's IO, or the semantics of some IO functions changed without my noticing.

John L.