[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: iterIO-0.1 - iteratee-based IO with pipe operators

Alex Mason axman6 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 17:15:25 CEST 2011

Hi All,

I really love the look of this package, but if this is going be *the* iteratee package, I would absolutely love to see it fix some of the biggest mistakes in the other iteratee packages, soecifically naming. A change in naming for the terms iteratee, enumerator and enumeratee would go a hell of a long way here; Peaker on #haskell suggested Consumer/Producer/Transformer, and there is a lot of agreement in the channel that these are vastly better names. They’re also far less intimidating to users.

I personally feel that maybe Transformer isn't such a great name (being closely associated with monad transformers), and that maybe something like Mapper would be better, but I'm by no means in love with that name either. More people in #haskell seem to like Transformer, and I don't think my argument against it is very strong, so the hivemind seems to have settled on the Producer/Transformer/Consumer trilogy.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the issue, especially from David.

Cheers,

Alex Mason