[Haskell-cafe] trying to cabal install lambdabot, failure on 'random' package

Sean Perry shaleh at speakeasy.net
Mon May 9 09:30:01 CEST 2011

On May 8, 2011, at 3:34 PM, Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:

> On 11-05-08 03:24 AM, Sean Perry wrote:
>> package random-1.0.0.3 requires time-1.2.0.3
>> package random-1.0.0.3 requires time-1.2.0.4
>
> In addition to unregistering --user random-1.0.0.3, also unregister --user time-1.2.0.4, the real culprit. The real culprit is why you are infected with a duplicate random-1.0.0.3. If you let time-1.2.0.4 live, the problem will just recur infinitely.
>
> See my
> http://www.vex.net/~trebla/haskell/sicp.xhtml
> for why this happens and what it costs you. And never "upgrade" packages piecemeal like this again.

Thank you for the article. I went looking and had a 6. and two 7. releases of the haskell platform and a bunch of locally installed things that it turns out were migrated poorly.

It would be nice if 'cabal upgrade' worked and was not deprecated. Also, installing a new haskell platform could comment on the fact that it is leaving a bunch of old most likely garbage behind and how to resolve it. Tonight I just did not bother and wiped Haskell completely and reinstalled.