[Haskell-cafe] Using cmake with haskell

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu May 12 00:11:08 CEST 2011

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM, Robert Clausecker <fuzxxl at gmail.com>wrote:

>        Is it possible to use cmake for Haskell projects?

Yes, but you shouldn't. Just use the cabal build system instead. It solves
the same kinds of problems, but requires far less effort than dealing with
CMake.

>        I heard about CMake and I think it is a pretty cool product.

It is not. It's a fairly terrible piece of software. It has a grotesque
macro language, lots of strange undocumented behaviours, and is generally a
nightmare to work with. The only thing it's adequate for is managing the
build and packaging of very complex cross-platform software packages. You
certainly shouldn't use it for anything else. In fairness, the CMake
developers are very nice and responsive, which is just as well given the
number of times you'll have to ask them "why isn't this doing something
sane?" if you use it for a real project.