[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Wed May 18 09:33:11 CEST 2011

Conal Elliott wrote:
> I still haven't found any way to do GUIs or interactive graphics in Haskell
> on a Mac that isn't plagued one or more of the following serious problems:
>
> * Incompatible with ghci, e.g., fails to make a window frame or kills the
> process the second time one opens a top-level window,
> * Goes through the X server, and so doesn't look or act like a Mac app,
> * Doesn't support OpenGL.
>
> A year or two ago, I put my Haskell GUI & graphics work on hold while
> waiting & hoping for a functioning pathway to open. So far I haven't heard
> of one.
>
> If anyone has found a solution, I'd love to hear!

I've asked a similar question on stackoverflow

   http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5868916/

and answered it myself. Basically, GLFW works (on my machine) as long as
you don't call the  GLFW.terminate  function. The answer includes an
example program that you can try out.

It might be worth to include the extra hoops (EnableGUI) in the GLFW
package.

Best regards,
Heinrich Apfelmus

--