[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Thu May 19 05:48:35 CEST 2011

Quoth wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org>,
> But yes, the mere process of making bindings isn't especially
> cumbersome. Anyone interested in prior art should take a look at the
> Perl--ObjectiveC bridgework, CamelBones:
>
>      http://camelbones.sourceforge.net/

Note (again) that there's already some work in this area,
http://code.google.com/p/hoc/

My recollection from trying it several years ago was that there
must indeed have been something especially cumbersome about it,
given the prodigiously long time it would take to build an
application, but it could be better now.

In any case, I don't think it would be a crime to try a fresh start.
With good Haskell-like high-level bindings, or not.  If I were to
work on it (as I was somewhat inspired to think about after reading
Jason Dagit's comments), it would be the thinnest possible layer,
with names unchanged and semantics preserved as possible.  High
level bindings can be applied on top of that, as required.

	Donn