[Haskell-cafe] The Lisp Curse

vagif.verdi at gmail.com vagif.verdi at gmail.com
Thu May 19 22:34:21 CEST 2011

Andrew, you are being non constructive.

You are saying "We" should.
Who "we", Andrew ? Who are you referring to ?
The developers who created those six different unicode libraries are not united
under any umbrella you can call "we".

The reason those six libraries existis is NOT because some mysterious secret
"we" commitee decided to have six incompatible libraries.

And the maintainers of hackage has better things to do than to police and make
arbitrary decisions what should or should not be "allowed" to hackage.

Also hackage is NOT a standard library, just like SourceForge or Github is not
a standard library. It's just a hosting for haskell libraries.

If you want someone tell you what to use, there's an effort in that direction:
haskell platform. And their attitue is constructive. They don't demand that
"we" (whoever that is) do or do not do something. They compile their own set
of libraries and announce about their existence.

Go lobby them to include one blessed unicode library.