[Haskell-cafe] blaze-builder and FlexibleInstances in code that aims to become part of the Haskell platform

Simon Meier iridcode at gmail.com
Fri May 20 09:54:23 CEST 2011

2011/5/20 Henning Thielemann <schlepptop at henning-thielemann.de>:
> Simon Meier schrieb:
>
>> There are many providers of Writes. Each bounded-length-encoding of a
>> standard Haskell value is likely to have a corresponding Write. For
>> example, encoding an Int32 as a big-endian, little-endian, and
>> host-endian byte-sequence is currently achieved with the following
>> three functions.
>>
>>   writeInt32BE :: Write Int32
>>   writeInt32LE :: Write Int32
>>   writeInt32HE :: Write Int32
>>
>> I would like to avoid naming all these encodings individually.
>
> Maybe this one helps:
> http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/storable-endian/0.2.4/doc/html/Data-Storable-Endian.html
> ?

Thanks. I didn't know of that package. It for sure provides some
valuable input. Moreover, it pointed me to Antoine Latter's byteorder
package (http://hackage.haskell.org/package/byteorder). I might use
it, although I would rather have the ByteOrder determined at compile
time. Shouldn't GHC provide some means to determine this, as it's
compiling for a fixed architecture anyway? What experience have you
made Antoine when you implemented this package?

best regards,
Simon