[Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Mon May 23 11:33:11 CEST 2011

> Message: 17
> Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 15:59:51 -0700
> From: Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] Status of Haskell + Mac + GUIs & graphics
> To: Erik Hesselink <hesselink at gmail.com>
> Cc: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
>
> > Note that it is supposed to be possible to build gtk2hs with gtk+osx,
> > which will not use X11 but use the native OS X GUI. I've not been able
> > to get this to work, but it's been a while since I tried. The Haskell
> > wiki mentions it doesn't support Glade, but does support Cairo. If
> > this were to work, gtk2hs would be a serious option as well.
>
> I've tried this 3 or 4 times, and failed every time.  It's crazy
> complicated.

I used to use this combination regularly.  IME the difficulties are
primarily with getting a working gtk+osx build.  Once that was accomplished,
gtk2hs was a straightforward install, provided you build from the src repo
with the -quartz flag.

Recently I've switched to using macports gtk2 with the quartz, no-x11
variant, which also uses native cocoa.  This is much more reliable than
gtk+osx.  I don't know if it supports Glade though.

My biggest problem with wx is that there's no support for building 64-bit wx
applications on OS X.  If that were fixed I might prefer it.

John Lato