[Haskell-cafe] *GROUP HUG*

Tom Murphy amindfv at gmail.com
Tue May 24 19:27:23 CEST 2011

Firstly, I would definitely like to second the group hug! I'd say best
learning community on the net, that I know of.

On 5/24/11, Ketil Malde <ketil at malde.org> wrote:
> The point is that at face value, being rude and arrogant may drive away
> naive questions, but is much more likely to result in endless threads of
> discussions of etiquette, usually laced with ample amounts of
> hostility.  This actually decreases signal to noise.
>
> Also it not only drives away the naive questions, it drives away the
> people asking them.  People who might at some point become informed,
> contributing members of the community.

It also drives away people who don't know if their question is naive
or not. When you don't want to be yelled at, you have a strong
tendency to err on the side of not asking. This slows down learning
significantly, and decreases the number of people who can answer
others' questions in the future.

> Some people quit haskell-cafe for other (better policed?)
> forums, so perhaps we are too liberal?  I hope not.

Does anybody know how much this has happened?

I'm very interested in how we can maintain this amazing resource as
Haskell's user base grows. Will the same etiquette work when we start
to get lots of questions from Java programmers? :)

Tom