[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot hoogle

Mark Wright markwright at internode.on.net
Wed May 25 13:10:56 CEST 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 12:22:24 +0200, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:

> On 2011 May 25, at 05:53, Mark Wright wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 25 May 2011 02:20:39 +0200, Jacek Generowicz <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
> > > wrote:
> >> I have recenly installed lambdabot. Its response to *each* *and*
> >> *every* hoogle command is *always*
> >>
> >>     A Hoogle error occurred.
> >>
> >> I'm hoping that someone on Cafe might be able to offer a more helpful
> >> diagnosis than this ... erm ... terse ... error message.
> >
> > Hi Jacek,
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> > The lambdabot hoogle command requires hoogle to be installed locally,
> > and to work.
>
> Ah. Thank you. I had assumed that it connected to a server.
>
> (Maybe my assumption was not entirely unfounded, given that the
> installation instructions for lambdabot blithely state that you "just
> cabal install lambdabot", nowhere suggesting that you might need to
> *manually* install some of its dependencies.)
>
> > Hence the first thing to ty is to run the hoogle command
> > line version, something like:
> >
> > hoogle '[a] -> a'
> >
> > If that doesn't work, maybe try building some hoogle databases.
>
> First I needed to 'cabal install hoogle'. Having done that, I needed
> to do what you suggested:
>
> > hoogle data
>
> Which works swimmingly on Ubuntu, but fails on OS X, because wget
> seems to be hard-wired. I seem to recall that at least one of the
> packages that I installed over the last 2 days, automatically selected
> wget on Ubuntu, and curl on OS X.
>
> Any pointers to the least painful way of getting 'hoogle data' to work
> on OS X?

Hi Jacek,

Sorry I have no idea about OS X, hopefully someone else might know.

I assume your test on OS X was with the latest hoogle version so that
old issues would no longer be relevant:

http://code.google.com/p/ndmitchell/issues/detail?id=429

> Once I have the hoogle command line version working, it seems that
> lambdabot truncates its output to just the first 3 lines. Is this
> normal?

Yes.

> Is there a way of customizing or changing this behaviour?

No (other than patching lambdabot), so the obvious workaround is to run
the hoogle from the command line.

Regards, Mark