[Haskell-cafe] Policy for taking over a package on Hackage

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Wed May 25 14:35:59 CEST 2011

On 25 May 2011 22:17, Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Ivan
>
> Forks are good, no?
>
> The Parsec experience has suggested to me at least, that new author's
> "capping" another author's work by bumping up to a major version,
> causes a significant difficulties even when the original author has
> gone.
>
> As for wl-pprint, it was a very tidy library in its original
> implementation - it's a pity it now has name clashes with Applicative.
> My feeling is that a new library in a new namespace with some
> attention to new combinator names would be better.

Such as?  I'm _hopeless_ at making up names... ;-)

Having a new package would require a new name and new module
namespace, let alone thinking up new names for combinators...

Also, by clashes with Applicative, are you referring to empty and <$>
?  I'm not sure if a better name than "empty" can be found; as for
<$>, maybe using pretty's notation of $$ and $+$ rather than <$> and
<$$> ?

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com