[Haskell-cafe] lambdabot hoogle

Jacek Generowicz jacek.generowicz at cern.ch
Wed May 25 21:45:53 CEST 2011

On 2011 May 25, at 17:42, Gwern Branwen wrote:

> On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 11:08 AM, Jacek Generowicz
> <jacek.generowicz at cern.ch> wrote:
>
>> I've already stumbled across mueval and hoogle as things that need
>> to be
>> installed separately before the full advertized features of
>> lambdabot work.
>>
>> With this experience under my belt and the benefit of hindsight, I
>> vaguely,
>> almost, kinda, maybe see how I could have guessed that the stubborn
>> response
>> "A Hoogle error occurred." to any hoogle command in lambdabot,
>> means that I
>> need to install hoogle locally:
>>
>> 'hoogle ...' --> "A Hoogle error occurred." ==> install hoogle.
>>
>> But how on earth was I supposed to guess that in order to make
>> 'check' work,
>> the package to install was 'mueval', given that the error message was
>> "Terminated"?
>>
>> 'check ...' --> "Terminated" ==> install mueval.
>
> You weren't really meant to - lambdabot isn't exactly meant for anyone
> who won't look at the source when something goes wrong.

Understood. Fair enough.

I feel a bit guilty about spamming the list with all my stupid
problems: I would prefer to find my own way around, but if I had to
dive in and rummage around the source for every problem that I
encounter, I would not get very far.

>> What other lambdabot features rely on packages that need to be
>> installed
>> separately?
>
> Brainfuck and unlambda are separate executables, but they already
> have deps.

I must admit that hoogle and check were far stronger incentives to try
to intstall lambdabot, than brainfuck and unlambda :-)