[Haskell-cafe] Hackage feature request: E-mail author when a package breaks

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Nov 1 11:35:39 CET 2011

Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> writes:

> I am just a little worried that if uploading to Hackage
> requires agreeing to unlimited uncontrollable
> spamming by a bot,

The bot would, of course, be implemented in Haskell.  Anybody who still
worries about bugs, is free to implement a better one in Agda. :-)

> it may cause some good packages not to be uploaded by people who are
> hesitant to agree to that.

One solution could be to have a Maintainer field contain a name, but no
email address?  So I could do:

  Maintainer: Ketil Malde <ketil at malde.org>  -- send email to me

or

  Maintainer: Ketil Malde   -- don't send email, Google me if you are
                            -- human and it's that important

or even

  Maintainer: Ketil Malde <ketil at malde dot org>  -- email me if you are human

Or of course

  Maintainer:  -- empty field means unmaintained, caveat emptor!

Generalizing from my sample of one, I think most people would stick with
the first option, but at least this policy would leave things open for
those preferring alternatives.

-k