[Haskell-cafe] Hackage feature request: E-mail author when a package breaks

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 13:36:07 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 08:24, Nick Bowler <nbowler at elliptictech.com> wrote:

> On 2011-11-01 12:59 +0100, Daniel Díaz Casanueva wrote:
> > How about to a new optional Cabal field like "mail-report"? (don't bother
> > about this name, I chose it randomly)
>
> Doing anything like this in the .cabal file is a mistake, since there is
> no way to change it after uploading.
>
> If your mail address changes, or if you don't want to maintain a package
> any more, or if you simply change your mind about receiving status
> updates by email, then if this gets hardcoded in the .cabal file you
> have no recourse.

Additionally, if you maintain a lot of packages, you don't really want to
have to change it everywhere; this kind of setting is really per
maintainer, not necessarily per package.  (It is also arguably not of much
interest to someone downloading the package.  Users' questions and bug
reports would generally be expected to go to the main contact address, not
the buildbot automated report address.)