[Haskell-cafe] arr considered harmful

David Barbour dmbarbour at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:39:37 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 5:33 PM, Ryan Ingram <ryani.spam at gmail.com> wrote:

> For example, I would love to be able to use the arrow syntax to define
> objects of this type:
>
> data Circuit a b where
>     Const :: Bool -> Circuit () Bool
>     Wire :: Circuit a a
>     Delay :: Circuit a a
>     And :: Circuit (Bool,Bool) Bool
>     Or :: Circuit (Bool,Bool) Bool
>     Not :: Circuit Bool Bool
>     Then :: Circuit a b -> Circuit b c -> Circuit a c
>     Pair :: Circuit a c -> Circuit b d -> Circuit (a,b) (c,d)
>     First :: Circuit a b -> Circuit (a,c) (b,c)
>     Swap :: Circuit (a,b) (b,a)
>     AssocL :: Circuit ((a,b),c) (a,(b,c))
>     AssocR :: Circuit (a,(b,c)) ((a,b),c)
>     Loop :: Circuit (a,b) (a,c) -> Circuit b c
> etc.
>
> Then we can have code that examines this concrete data representation,
> converts it to VHDL, optimizes it, etc.

As mentioned by others, Adam Megacz's generalized arrow (and its syntax)
could accomplish this. But if all you want is VHDL and the like, consider
Conal Elliott's work on Vertigo, Pan, Compiling Embedded Languages [1], and
the similar work on the Haskell GPipe package.

[1] http://conal.net/papers/jfp-saig/

Regards,

Dave