[Haskell-cafe] Persistent Concurrent Data Structures

dokondr dokondr at gmail.com
Wed Nov 2 01:49:33 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:12 AM, dokondr <dokondr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks everybody for advice!
> I'll try to clarify what I mean by persistence and concurrent access that
> preserves "happens-before" relationship.
> 1) Persistence - imagine Haskell run-time executing in infinite physical
> memory. My idea is to implement really huge,  "almost infinite memory" in
> the cloud of one or another type. Nothing more nothing less, nothing
> imperative, exactly the same environment that GHC runtime  works today, but
> extended to huge virtual memory in the cloud.

I am afraid I am confused everybody, didn't mean it, sorry. I understand
that  infinite physical memory is not quite the same that implementing
NData.* on top of some cloud framework. Yet NData.* may be the first step
in this direction. Infinite memory will require support in Haskell
run-time, run-time distributed across many physical instances. Yet, it
looks like physical memory will eventually will be very huge virtual memory
persistent in the cloud for some period of time. IMHO this will simplify
programming model considerably.