[Haskell-cafe] howto best use emacs + tiling WM (Xmonad,DWM)

kaffeepause73 kaffeepause73 at yahoo.de
Fri Nov 4 16:55:22 CET 2011

Hello,

I'm using dwm which I really love (ev. consider switching to xmonad).

However when I'm working with emacs (programming haskell) und dwm I feel,
I'm not as effecient as I eventually could be. -- I can have the shell in
one window (to execute the compiled program), but most work happens in emacs
(in one screen only). And I have up to buffers in emacs which I find hard to
switch between. Even on Xinerama this doesn't really change.

When I create new frames for emacs with strg-x 5-2 then I'm sort getting
closer to where I would like to be, but then I find myself having to windows
on which I switch buffers and I get "confused" again.

What I would like is to tab through the buffers, as I walk through the
screens in dwm/xmonad and see the list of buffers as id do so. -- And can
directly jump to a specific buffer via e.g. mod-4.

I'm thinking that each buffer in emacs gets one frame and occupies one
screen and xmonad than gets dynamically 20 or more screens (like tabs).

If there is an good solution within emacs and the emacs mode than I'm of
course also more than open for it.

(my experience with emacs so far: -- only 10 buffers are listed in menue
                                             -- speedbar is very nice but
works for files not for buffers
                                             -- using "list all buffers" is
sort of cluncy as it uses half the screen (my screen splits horizontally

Thanks,

Phil