[Haskell-cafe] Message

David Leimbach leimy2k at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 18:12:23 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Ryan Newton <rrnewton at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I have interfaced Erlang and Haskell... And delivered it as a product.  I
> > just came up with a dead-simple text based communication syntax from
> Erlang
> > to Haskell that was very easily testable.  It allowed for complete
> isolation
>
> Interesting.  I can't imagine there are too many people who have done
> this.  So I must ask -- given the explicit attempt to imitate Erlang
> in recent CloudHaskell work, does that come close to giving you
> everything you would have wanted in this app?

I don't know, as I've not looked at all at CloudHaskell at all.  My current
job doesn't really give me a lot of time for it.

There's definite advantages to polyglot programming approaches.  The
difficulty is in the glue, and that doesn't have to really be that
difficult.  I just picked a text based protocol that was really easy to
implement and understand as well as test externally.  No XML, no JSON,
nothing "standardized", just tiny and really obvious.  With a sufficiently
simple protocol getting C++, haskell and erlang on the same page was pretty
trivial, and the separation of concerns for each piece was really well
drawn.

It felt like what was meant by the unix philosophy of one good tool for
each job coordinated over pipes because well that's exactly what I did.

Dave