[Haskell-cafe] Send SMTP email with plain text authentication

Justin Greene justin.j.greene at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:04:36 CET 2011

Hi All,

I am attempting to send email to an SMTP server that uses plain text
authentication.  So far I have tried both the SMTPClient (
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/SMTPClient-1.0.4) and HaskellNet (
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/HaskellNet).

The SMTPClient library works fine for connecting to a non-restricted local
SMTP server, but doesn't seem to have any ability to authenticate, so
unless it gets updated I believe it's out of the picture (unless I'm wrong
about it not being able to authenticate).

The HaskellNet SMTP bindings are having problems connecting to my local
postfix server even without authentication involved.  I get a "connect:
does not exist (Connection refused)" error.  This seems odd to me since the
SMTPClient code connects to my local server just fine, so I don't believe
this is a postfix configuration issue (I could be wrong here of course).

Here is the code I am currently using: http://hpaste.org/53764

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,