[Haskell-cafe] [ANN] transformers-base, transformers-abort, monad-abort-fd

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 17:54:16 CET 2011

On 10 November 2011 12:58, Mikhail Vorozhtsov
<mikhail.vorozhtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> transformers-base[1] introduces a generalized version of MonadIO, MonadBase
> (BaseM in monadLib terms).

Hi Mikhail, nice packages!

I'm currently giving monad-control a new design and I'm planning to
generalize MonadControlIO to MonadBaseControl. I would like to use
your MonadBase as a super class of MonadBaseControl.

However, your package depends on monad-control to define a similar
class. Of course this prevents monad-control to depend on
transformers-base. Are you willing to drop the monad-control
dependency (and remove Control.Monad.Base.Control)?

I send you a pull request that implements this change.

The pull request also contains a patch that makes some other changes:

* Use CPP macros to abstract the repetitious instances
* Add instances for all base monads in the base library
* Use descriptive variable names: 'm' for monad, 'b' for base monad
* Reversed order of 'b' and 'm' to match BaseM from monadLib

Hopefully you are fine with these changes, otherwise no hard feelings ;-)

Cheers,

Bas