[Haskell-cafe] Monad-control rant

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 00:55:53 CET 2011

Hi Mikhail,

your type class:

class MonadAbort e μ ⇒ MonadRecover e μ | μ → e where
  recover ∷ μ α → (e → μ α) → μ α

looks a lot like the MonadCatchIO type class from MonadCatchIO-transformers:

class MonadIO m => MonadCatchIO m where
  catch   :: E.Exception e => m a -> (e -> m a) -> m a

I haven't looked at your code in detail but are you sure your
continuation based AIO monad doesn't suffer from the same unexpected
behavior as the ContT monad transformer with regard to catching and
handling exceptions? The API docs of MonadCatchIO-transformers explain
the bug in detail:

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/MonadCatchIO-transformers/0.2.2.3/doc/html/Control-Monad-CatchIO.html
Regards,

Bas