[Haskell-cafe] Documenting strictness properties for Data.Map.Strict

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 06:44:32 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not entirely happy with this formulation. I'm looking for
> something that's clear (i.e. precise and concise, without leaving out
> important information), assuming that the reader already knows how
> lazy evaluation works at a high level.
>
> Ideas?

This reads a bit better to me:

Strictness properties
=====================

This module is strict in keys and values.  In particular,

 * key and value function arguments passed to functions are
   evaluated to WHNF before the function body is evaluated, and

 * keys and values returned by high-order function arguments are
   evaluated to WHNF before they are inserted into the map.

Here are some examples:

    insertWith (+) k undefined m  ==  undefined
    delete undefined m  ==  undefined
    map (\ v -> undefined)  ==  undefined
    mapKeys (\ k -> undefined)  ==  undefined

Any ideas for further improvements?

-- Johan