[Haskell-cafe] A Mascot

Albert Y. C. Lai trebla at vex.net
Wed Nov 23 02:22:12 CET 2011

On 11-11-22 12:22 AM, Jeremy Shaw wrote:
> A mascot is supposed to represent characteristics, emotions, or
> desires that a particular group of people aspire to have, be like,
> etc. To outsiders, it provides a quick way to see if it might be a
> group they would like to belong to, and for insiders, it helps
> strengthen the bond and group identity by reminding them what they
> stand for.

I don't know why I relate to Canada, with mascots of the maple leaf, the
beaver, and the moose. I don't know why I relate to linux, with a mascot
of the penguin. I don't know why I relate to Kraft peanut butter, with a
mascot of a pair of bears...

> So far, the only justification I have noticed for why a lamb would
> represent Haskell users is that there is a pun about lambda's -- which
> only makes sense if you know English. Sheep are generally thought of
> as:
>
>   - weak and needing protection
>   - easily lead astray
>   - being lead to the slaughter
>   - dumb and easily lost

A lamb-in-arms is the antithesis to all those. It stands up with
determination and might against mainstream oppression and stereotyping.