[Haskell-cafe] Poll: Do you want a mascot? -- please stop this

heathmatlock heathmatlock at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 23:36:06 CET 2011

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM, Giovanni Tirloni <gtirloni at sysdroid.com>wrote:

> 1. It's unlikely to get feedback from the larger Haskell community
> 2. It floods people with email they don't care (unless they care to keep
> track of the results)
> 3. One can just as easily create throw-away emails, subscribe to the list
> and answer the poll

I thought about this, but I was trying to keep the response short.

> 4. etc...
>
> My suggestion is to create a poll somewhere else and let it run for at
> least a month.

I suppose we could do this. Kryzyztof suggested Google Docs, so I created a
poll there:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dFpic3dzZkVtcW5yZkVWbFNuckpyWmc6MQ

Or a more elaborated survey with additional questions trying to capture the
> community's feeling toward a masket and what kind.

I'm not sure what additional questions would be appropriate.

I don't think we are in a hurry to get a mascot here so let's take the time
> and do it properly.

I can agree to that. The reasons I created a poll using the email method
are:

1. Typically, mail programs have methods of keeping emails separated by
topic, so your mailbox isn't littered with just one topic.
2. It's quick with little hassle, just respond.

But, you have a point about reaching a wider audience. My only concern is
how many people outside of the Haskell community are going to vote. Without
methods of recognizing who's spamming the results, it's difficult to really
judge how accurately the poll reflects the community's views.

Polldaddy.com has nice spam filters. I'm guessing posting functional
Javascript to the wiki isn't possible though, this would require someone
with write access to the site.

--
Heath Matlock
+1 256 274 4225