[Haskell-cafe] DSL for data definition (e.g. compiling Haskell type defs into Google's protocol buffers type defs)

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Tue Oct 4 20:33:12 CEST 2011

Hello,

thanks a lot to Edward, Jose, Ryan and Stephen for fast reply in this
thread. I see I've not been that precise in specification of what I need
exactly so I need to add this: I've changed a little bit definition of
person to:

data PersonType = Person {
         id :: Int
         , name :: String
         , email :: Maybe String
         }
         deriving (Show, Data, Typeable)

so I have `PersonType' as type constructor and Person as value
constructor (or data constructor) -- speaking using terms from Real
World Haskell, Chapter 3[1]. And now I see that none of
typeOf/dataTypeOf/toContr is applicable to *type constructor* but all
are applicable to *value/data constructor*. Ditto happen when testing
Color versus RED, GREEN, BLUE. At least GHCi complains this way:

*Main> typeOf Color

<interactive>:0:8: Not in scope: data constructor `Color'
*Main> typeOf PersonType

<interactive>:0:8: Not in scope: data constructor `PersonType'

But, I'd like to start processing of data definition from the *type
constructor*. So:

emit_proto PersonType 1
emit_proto Color 1

Is that possible at all? I mean in the scope/context of GHC's
Data/Data.Data/Data.Typeable etc. modules. (w/o considering TH now).

Thanks!
Karel

[1]:
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/defining-types-streamlining-functions.html