[Haskell-cafe] Package documentation complaints -- and a suggestion

Paterson, Ross R.Paterson at city.ac.uk
Mon Oct 10 10:06:01 CEST 2011

Max Rabkin writes:
> But I also have a concrete suggestion for Hackage: include the package
> synopsis on the package's page. The distinction between synopsis and
> description can be confusing, and sometimes it seems to violate DRY to
> have the same info in both.

You may have missed the header on the package page (dark line at the top).

The distinction between synopsis and description is borrowed from the
Debian package format:

http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-binary.html#s-descriptions

The two fields are aimed at different audiences.  A Synopsis trying to
do double duty as the beginning of a general package description won't
work as well as a stand-alone summary for package lists, etc.