[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs. Dart

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Tue Oct 11 17:43:58 CEST 2011

Heinrich Apfelmus <apfelmus at quantentunnel.de> wrote:

> I didn't look very carefully, but from a Haskeller's point of view, I
> can't see any significant difference between Dart and JavaScript,
> except perhaps for the name. By comparison, CoffeeScript is a way more
> innovative venture.

If you want a useful client-side browser language, which is not just the
same as JavaScript with a different syntax, look into Haxe [1].

That one is a statically, strongly typed language, which can be compiled
down to JavaScript and other targets (PHP, ActionScript, SWF, C++,
etc.).  Some of the interesting features of it are algebraic data types,
pattern matching, a module system and a rich standard library with lots
of functionality which you always missed in JavaScript.

It is also a great alternative, if you are forced to deploy PHP code
and, like me, can't even find words strong enough to express the
intensity of your absolute hate against that "programming language".

[1] http://haxe.org/

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/