[Haskell-cafe] Waiting on input with `hWaitForInput' or `threadWaitRead'

Ertugrul Soeylemez es at ertes.de
Mon Oct 17 10:58:11 CEST 2011

Jason Dusek <jason.dusek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to use evented I/O for a proxying application. My present
> thinking is to fork a thread for each new connection and then to wait
> for data on either socket in this thread, writing to one or the other
> socket as needed.
>
> [...]
>
> Ideally, I'd get something like select() on handles, just saying
> whether there are bytes or not. However, I haven't managed to find
> anything like that in the standard libraries.

I don't think you want either of the functions you mentioned.  What you
probably want instead is to do concurrent programming by creating
Haskell threads.  A hundred Haskell threads reading from Handles are
translated to one or more OS threads using whatever polling mechanism
(select(), poll(), epoll) your operating system supports.

I have uploaded a simple concurrent echo server implementation to hpaste
[1].  It uses one thread for the stdout logger, one thread for the
server, one thread for each client and finally a main thread waiting for
you to hit enter to quit the application.

[1] http://hpaste.org/52742 - Concurrent echo server with logger

Greets,
Ertugrul

http://ertes.de/