[Haskell-cafe] Package documentation complaints -- and a suggestion

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Tue Oct 25 11:17:50 CEST 2011

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> writes:

> Right, but first we need to define what all those terms _mean_... and
> it's no good saying your package is "stable" if you change the API in
> a large-scale fashion every release.

I think there are better criteria to use, like:

- do exported definition have Haddock comments?
- does the package have an automated test suite?
- is the package used by other packages?
- ...by different authors?
- has the package been recently updated?

I'm sure there are other things as well that could be added.  If this
could be automatically checked, and displayed alongside the package name
on Hackage (perhaps as adding one star per checklist item), it would
encourage authors to actually improve their packages, rather than just
label them "stable".

-k