[Haskell-cafe] Smarter do notation

Max Bolingbroke batterseapower at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 5 09:35:51 CEST 2011

On 5 September 2011 02:38, Sebastian Fischer <fischer at nii.ac.jp> wrote:
> These are important questions. I think there is a trade-off between
> supporting many cases and having a simple desugaring. We should find a
> sweet-spot where the desugaring is reasonably simple and covers most
> idiomatic cases.

I have proposed a desugaring (in executable form) at
https://gist.github.com/1194308.

My desugaring aims for a slightly different design that does not try
to detect "return" and instead treats the use of <*, *> and liftA2
purely as an optimisation - so any computation using "do" still
generates a Monad constraint, but it may be desugared in a more
efficient way than it is currently by using the Applicative
combinators.

(If you do want to support the type checker only generating requests
for an Applicative constraint you could just insist that user code
writes "pure" instead of "return", in which case this would be quite
easy to implement)

There are still some interesting cases in my proposal. For example, if
you have my second example:

x <- computation1
y <- computation2
z <- computation3 y
computation4 x

You might reasonably "reassociate" computation2 and computation3
together and desugar this to:

liftA2 computation1 (computation2 >>= \y -> computation3 y) >>= \(x,
_z) -> computation4 x

But currently I desugar to:

liftA2 computation1 computation2 >>= \(x, y) -> computation3 y *> computation4 x

It wouldn't be too hard (and perhaps a nice exercise) to modify the
desugaring to do this reassocation.

Max