[Haskell-cafe] Data.Text.IO.hGetContents problem on windows

David Virebayre dav.vire+haskell at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 08:54:57 CEST 2011

Re-bonjour Café, Bryan,

> I have a program that works fine on linux, but doesn't on windows.
> Is there something I'm doing wrong ?

Checking the source code for Data.Text.IO.hGetContents, I see that the
only time hFileSize is used is in chooseGoodBuffering when the
buffering is in block mode, so I have a workaround: I just set the
buffering in line mode, which forks for my case.

The documentation for hFileSize says
"For a handle hdl which attached to a physical file, hFileSize hdl
returns the size of that file in 8-bit bytes."

So chooseGoodBuffering should check if the handle is a physical file
before trying to optimize the buffer size, right ?

However, I'm not sure how to check if the handle is a physical file.
hIsTerminalDevice wouldn't help here, I guess.
hIsSeekable give this on windows : <socket: 1860>: hIsSeekable:
invalid argument (Bad file descriptor)

Maybe the solution would be to try hFileSize, and set a default
buffering if an exception is caught ?

David.