[Haskell-cafe] New: A French translation of Learn You A Haskell for Great Good!

Valentin ROBERT valentin.robert.42 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 16:20:47 CEST 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 16:01, Eric Y. Kow <eric.kow at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 00:00:26 +0200, Valentin ROBERT wrote:
> > http://lyah.haskell.fr
>
> Excellent
>
> > http://haskell.fr

On this particular topic, someone asked me why I did not reuse the FR part
of Haskell wiki. That's a reasonable question in my opinion.

We have this page: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Fr/Haskell

Now, is it feasible, and okay, to create a French sub-wiki inside Haskell
Wiki? What would be the advantages, and inconvenients? If we wanted to, I
could just have haskell.fr redirect there.

I am actually not satisfied with the wiki I created, for instance syntax
highlighting with the presence of links is a huge pain, as you might notice
if you read the sources... and not automated at all... I'd be happy to test
Gitit and switch to it if it makes sense.

Concerning the integration or separation with HaskellWiki:

* Integration
(+) Everything is in the same place
(+) We can link english articles from the French ones when there's no
translation
(+) We benefit from the work that was done on HaskellWiki (the design, the
syntax highlighting)
(-) When people go to the home page, it's all English again!
(-) Lack of visibility (it's actually not trivial to find the page I linked
up there...)
(-) We inherit the flaws of HaskellWiki (as you mentioned, maybe use another
wiki engine)
(?) How feasible is it? Should all our pages be into a fr namespace or
something in these lines?

* Separation
(+) We are free to do things differently
(-) We're separated from haskell.org, which is the reference place

Well, I'd be happy to discuss this further. As you said, it's still fresh
enough that I'm okay with moving everything elsewhere or restarting from
zero.

- Valentin Robert

Since you're starting from fresh, it would be great if the wiki