[Haskell-cafe] I for one welcome our new Robotic Overlords

Anthony Cowley acowley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 00:47:45 CEST 2011

On Sep 27, 2011, at 2:01 PM, Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com> wrote:

> When the robots take over, do you want them to be developed using a sane language like Haskell or Agda? Or some dangerous untyped OO language? I think the answer is obvious.
>
> The question is, "How?". The robots will not be developed by us, but by the children of today. So, we must reach their pure minds before they have been unsafely coerced by the evil unbelievers who do not worship the gods λ, Π, and ω.

Timing: you have it.

I presented the work behind https://github.com/acowley/roshask at IROS 2011 just this morning. ROS is possibly the most widely used robotics middleware today, and you can now use Haskell to work with existing ROS components.

While FP isn't hugely popular among the robotics community (I've been pitching functional approaches here for several years), this time around I am optimistic that we've turned the corner, or at least started that process. There was a lot of support, and developers behind other large projects expressed eagerness to rely more heavily on the compositionally of good old functions.

I am not aware of as good a story for Arduino-level development. Atom may be an appropriate foundation for such an effort, but I also hope that we can get GHC ARM support sorted out, and then use platforms like the forthcoming Raspberry Pi as the computational core of an inexpensive robotics platform.

In short, you can just about achieve your vision today with a TurtleBot from Willow Garage and roshask.

Anthony