[Haskell-cafe] I for one welcome our new Robotic Overlords

Karel Gardas karel.gardas at centrum.cz
Wed Sep 28 11:02:58 CEST 2011

On 09/28/11 10:42 AM, Yves Parès wrote:
> So currently, it's okay to make Haskell code that targets Android
> smartphones, the Beagleboard, the Raspberry Pi or the OpenPandora as long as
> you use the development version of GHC?

No, it's not that easy. As cross-compiling is not working (yet!) then
your development and runtime platform needs to be the same. This means
not only kernel should be the same (w.r.t. its API/functionality) but
also standard libc and other runtime libraries. This means that since
Android is using different libc than let say your ARM development board
with Ubuntu installed, then you are not able to develop Android binary
on Ubuntu/ARM development system.

So what you can do now is really just develop (or build) on ARM/Linux
and deploy/run on the same ARM/Linux. Anyway, this is current stage, but
IIRC people are working on making real cross-compilation working so this
may change in the near future...

Karel