[Haskell-cafe] why are applicative functors (often) faster than monads? (WAS Google Summer of Code - Lock-free data structures)

Heinrich Apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sat Apr 21 10:17:03 CEST 2012

Ben wrote:
> however, this does bring up a general question : why are applicative
> functors (often) faster than monads?  malcolm wallace mentioned this
> is true for polyparse, and heinrich mentioned this is true more
> generally.  is there a yoga by which one can write monadic functors
> which have a specialized, faster applicative implementation?

I'm not knowledgeable enough on the multicore stuff, but I can comment
on the monad vs applicative issue.

Applicative functors are not per se faster than monads, it's just that
the former can encode static analysis while the latter can't. As you can
see from the type of "bind"

    (>>=) :: m a -> (a -> m b) -> m b

the structure of the computation in the second argument, i.e. its
various side effects, can depend on a value of type  a  , which is only
available at "run-time".

In contrast, the type of "apply"

    (<*>) :: m (a -> b) -> m a -> m b

makes it clear that the side effects are the same, no matter what the
value of  a  will be at run-time. In other words, the structure of the
computation is known statically.

For parsers, interesting analyses are

* Does a parser accept the empty set?
* What are the first characters that a parser can accept?

The answers can be obtained easily enough from an applicative functors,
for instance

     acceptsEmpty (pure x)  = True
     acceptsEmpty (f <*> g) = acceptsEmpty f && acceptsEmpty g

But the corresponding analysis for monadic parsers is either harder or
hopelessly inefficient because we don't know the structure of the parser
until we run it on some input.

See also this answer on StackOverflow:

   http://stackoverflow.com/a/7863380/403805

Best regards,