[Haskell-cafe] "desactivate" my Show instance implementations temporarily

TP paratribulations at free.fr
Sun Apr 22 11:55:38 CEST 2012

On Sunday 22 April 2012 19:37:19 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:

> Is there any particular reason you're *not* using the defaults?

This is a good question which I have asked myself. I have searched about the
topic, and found that:

http://blog.romanandreg.com/post/13545420287/haskells-show-and-pretty-
printing-bad-practice

So, according to this address, Show implementation should be used with Read so
as to have show.read equal to identity: this is the only "good practice
requirement".

In my case, I use Show to print mathematical expressions, but it is not
strictly pretty printing (not over several lines as in classical Computer
Algebra Sytems). Why not using my own Show implementation to do that?

TP