[Haskell-cafe] Knight Capital debacle and software correctness

Steve Severance sseverance at alphaheavy.com
Sat Aug 4 21:14:40 CEST 2012

Actually Haskell is used in a surprising number of trading groups. However
most people involved are contractually obligated to never talk about the
technology in use at their firm. We make no secret that we use Haskell as
our primary language in building trading systems. Other functional
languages, notably F#, have seen significant uptake as well.

As to whether Haskell should/must/could be used an a particular system much
of this choice (non-technology influences aside) is going to be bound by
speed. As Knight is a market maker I would expect that the stock choice for
rapidly evolving software is c++ on the intel compiler with a significant
amount of strategies running on ASIC and FPGA. The reason being is that
many strategies are relying on latency as a primary input to their success.

We have the advantage of not being latency bound and we place a great
amount of emphasis on correctness. We accept the fact that if we want to
run latency bound strategies most of our runtime stack would be useless. If
they had been using Haskell would they have still had whatever problem it
was? At this point completely unknown. However the real world is a messy
place and sometimes even haskell code has bugs.

Steve