[Haskell-cafe] Sorting efficiency

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sun Aug 5 11:37:19 CEST 2012

Unfortunately, I doubt it can. That algorithm reduces the number of
comparisons a good bit, but the asymptotic complexity of its other
operations remains the same, with apparently bad constant factors
(according to the article). Also, that article describes the algorithm
in terms of sorting [a+b| a<-A, b<-A], whereas I'm actually dealing
(in the more substantial phase) with [a+b | a<-A, b<-B], where B is
much larger than A. Using the merging approach I described in my last
email, I can reduce the complexity from mn log(mn) in the naive
algorithm to mn log (min {m,n}).  Since m=100 and n~=10,000, I should
be able to get nearly double the speed of the naive approach, as long
as my multi-merge is fast enough.