[Haskell-cafe] Possible bug in Criterion or Statistics package

Till Berger till.berger at stud.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Aug 7 16:16:05 CEST 2012

Dear all,

I may have stumbled upon a bug in the Criterion package. When running
the attached Haskell program (Benchmark.hs, a simple test case) on
multiple cores (with +RTS -N, +RTS -N2, +RTS -N3 etc.) it sooner or
later crashes with the following exception:

Benchmark: thread blocked indefinitely in an MVar operation

With profiling support enabled and run with the xc flag I get the
following output before the crash:

*** Exception (reporting due to +RTS -xc): (THUNK_STATIC), stack trace:
   Statistics.Resampling.Bootstrap.bootstrapBCA,
   called from Main.main,
   called from Main.CAF
   --> evaluated by: Main.main,
   called from Main.CAF
*** Exception (reporting due to +RTS -xc): (THUNK_STATIC), stack trace:
   Statistics.Resampling.Bootstrap.bootstrapBCA,
   called from Main.main
*** Exception (reporting due to +RTS -xc): (THUNK_STATIC), stack trace:
   Statistics.Resampling.Bootstrap.bootstrapBCA,
   called from Main.main
*** Exception (reporting due to +RTS -xc): (THUNK_STATIC), stack trace:
   Statistics.Resampling.Bootstrap.bootstrapBCA,
   called from Main.main,
   called from Main.CAF

I have tested this with GHC versions 7.0.4 and 7.4.2 and Criterion 0.6.0.1.

So I am not sure if this is a bug in Criterion itself, the Statistics
package or any dependency or if I am doing something obviously wrong.
I would be grateful if someone could look into this as it is holding
me back from using Criterion for benchmarking my code.

Regards,
Till Berger