[Haskell-cafe] 'let' keyword optional in do notation?

Ertugrul Söylemez es at ertes.de
Wed Aug 8 17:27:56 CEST 2012

Vo Minh Thu <noteed at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not a parsing problem, but a scoping one: try to run this
> program:
>
> main = do
>   let x = y
>       y = 5
>   let a = b
>   let b = 6
>   print (x, y, a, b)
>
> Cheers,
> Thu

Martijn has actually covered this question:

> > Where each sequence of let-less bindings is put in a separate
> > binding group. I'm no parsing wizard, but I couldn't come up with
> > any situations in which this would cause ambiguity. To me, the
> > let-less version is easier on the eyes, more consistent with <-
> > bindings, and also makes it less of a hassle to move stuff around.

The suggestion seems sound to me, and the additional 'let' can really be
annoying in cases where you have a lot of 'let' bindings among very few
monadic actions.  My current way to deal with this is to move the stuff
to separate computations, but it's certainly not a nice solution:

    myComp = c >>= f
        where
        f x = ...
            where