[Haskell-cafe] createProcess running non-existent programs

Niklas Hambüchen mail at nh2.me
Mon Aug 13 03:18:56 CEST 2012

I just came across the fact that running

    createProcess (proc "asdfasdf" [])

with non-existing command "asdfasdf" returns perfectly fine handles.
I would expect an exception.
You can even hGetContents on stdout: You just get "".

I find this highly counter-intuitive. Is this intended?

Thanks
Niklas

PS: I checked how some other programming languages do this:

Python:
    import subprocess; subprocess.call("asdfasdf", shell=False)

    OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Ruby:
    exec("asdfasdf")

    Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - asdfasdf