[Haskell-cafe] Debian 6.0.5: 'cabal install curl' problem

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 02:56:39 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 10:23 AM, dokondr <dokondr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway, then I did:
> -> apt-get install curl
> -> cabal install curl
> Cabal fails to install 'curl' because it can not find curl library. Please
> see detailed cabal output at the end of this message.

Just as a general thing, almost all Linux distributions separate the
runtime and development components of any package; if you need developer
libraries, you need to install the -dev / -devel package corresponding to
the runtime package.  (I have never been convinced this actually
accomplishes anything other than causing lots of support questions; any
space that might be saved by not installing a bunhc of tiny headers and a
symlink or two is then lost by having several GB of Gnome libraries in a
basic install.....)