[Haskell-cafe] Darcs fetches too little files

Ramana Kumar Ramana.Kumar at cl.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 30 08:36:45 CEST 2012

monnier at iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>>> Albert Einstein said:
>>>   Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
>>> different results.
>>> I repeated the command today and it worked!
>>

>> So, did you expect the result to be different, or did you re-try just to
>> confirm that it doesn't work?
>

> The day after I tried the command the first time, I thought the result
might be different; I have the experience that my browser crashes, and
starting it again results in an immediate crash. Logging off and on again
solves the problem. This might be because of a corrupted DLL or a corrupted
data area of a DLL.

> The command failure could have also been caused by a problem at the
server side.

> In conclusion: repeating the same thing could give different results.

This depends on what counts as "the same". (There is a nice book called
"The Subtlety of Sameness".) I'm surprised that as users of a language that
makes a big deal out of referential transparency none of you have said that
neither invoking the same command at a different time nor invoking a
browser after changing context (logging in again) is doing the same thing.