[Haskell-cafe] education or experience?

Rustom Mody rustompmody at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 03:38:56 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 7:04 AM, Jerzy Karczmarczuk <
jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr> wrote:

> For me, opposing experience and education is simply silly.
>
> Probably more than 70% of all people would learn much faster on their own
> than at school. But, learn WHAT? :
>
> 1. Probably less than 1% would guess correctly what they SHOULD learn, and
> 2. in general they will not be able to assess their own knowledge...

Very good points

Haskell kneads the avant garde type-hackery stuff with classical
(Hindley-Milner) functional programming very seamlessly.  For the
programing-pro this is a joy and a thrill.  The beginner however can get
completely unnerved that misplacing a bracket or forgetting an argument
gives error messages involving type classes, suggestions turning on/off
arcane compiler options etc etc.

FWIW I have a list of points/items trying to address this issue:

http://blog.languager.org/2012/10/functional-programming-lost-booty.html

Please note this is work-in-progress: additions/modifications are
appreciated.

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 4:21 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:

> Compared to an academic career, you'll have a more "real" goal of making
> good software (instead of publishing papers). Also, this experience will
> be much more relevant for your future job.

Yes... CS academics delivers less than it could/should;
and whatever this delivery is, its asymptotically sub-linear.
Some of it is to do with the not-quick-enough takeup of FP in academia,
though there are obviously many other factors as well.

http://blog.languager.org/2011/02/cs-education-is-fat-and-weak-1.html
and sequel is about this: how we are not getting over the quirks of the
past history of CS in present day teaching. Here too suggestions for
modifications/ change of emphasis are appreciated.

Rusi
--
http://www.the-magus.in
http://blog.languager.org