[Haskell-cafe] Exploring Programming Language Theory

Johannes Waldmann waldmann at imn.htwk-leipzig.de
Sun Dec 9 14:43:53 CET 2012

Stephen Tetley <stephen.tetley <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Also Franklyn Turbak and David Gifford's "Design Concepts for
> Programming Languages" is very good (and new!) but huge.

Yes! I like that book very much, and I use it for teaching
semantics and compilation of programming languages.

Semantics - by writing interpreters, in several domains.
The book avoids the "M" word, but of course it is actually
the Identity monad, the State monad, the CPS monad etc.
(I guess it should really be presented via monad transformers, though.)

J.W.