[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library

Jonathan Fischer Friberg odyssomay at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 02:50:39 CET 2012

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 2:26 AM, Ramana Kumar <Ramana.Kumar at cl.cam.ac.uk>wrote:

> Using the GPL (or a strong copyleft free license) strengthens the free
> software community of which I thought the Haskell community is a part (or
> at least intersects substantially).

I don't think it strengthens the community. If someone wants to make a
change a library,
but not release the source, they cannot do that with GPL.
The idea behind GPL is that then, the change is forced to be released -
which would, as you say, strengthen the community.
However, I think what would happen instead is that the person would simply
not use the library in the first place.

So in short: GPL does not make people become a part of the community - it
pushes them away.

Jonathan