[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: tie-knot library

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Dec 12 06:19:51 CET 2012

On 12/11/12 9:30 PM, Ramana Kumar wrote:
> I wonder if this discussion has been had before in the Haskell community.
> If so, pointers to archives could be of interest.

Indeed, the discussion has been had more than once. Alas, I'm too bogged
for time to look up the archives at the moment.

> I'm glad to see that there are others who apparently share my concern about
> the fact that people are actively recommending that new libraries be
> licensed without copyleft.

The big issue, and the reason for suggesting that people not use LGPL is
a technical one. Namely that due to GHC's heavy inlining etc, the things
distinguishing LGPL from GPL are no longer in force, and therefore using
the "LGPL" license for your library is equivalent to using the full GPL
license for your library. Given as using the full GPL is not usually
people's intent, it's important to make people aware of this issue. And
in so doing, we usually suggest the BSD license (or similar) as an
alternative.

Inevitably, however, after the details of this technical situation are
discussed (often followed by a debate over the proper interpretation of
the linking clauses of the GPL/LGPL), the thread then turns to arguments
over the merits of various licenses... which eventually peters out when
everyone is too upset to keep on with it, just as in every other
free/open-source community. I don't mean to sound jaded, but I've been
through the cycle more than a few times already. Perhaps this time
someone'll mine the archives and set up a wiki highlighting the posts
with insightful discussion (and insightful counterpoints) so we can
direct people there for the next time...

--
Live well,
~wren