[Haskell-cafe] How is default method signatures supposed to be used together with Generics

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 12 18:34:53 CET 2012

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 9:31 PM, dag.odenhall at gmail.com
<dag.odenhall at gmail.com> wrote:
> The practice seems to be to not export it, but maybe it would be a better
> practice to export it. That way it can work without DefaultSignatures too,
> and if you use the generic-deriving package it could work with zero
> extensions or GHC-specific dependencies.
>
> Are you adding support to hashable after all? I'd love that, but thought you
> decided against it because of the clash with the existing defaults.

We did a major redesign of the library (without affecting users much).
This meant that hash became a top-level function and hashWithSalt the
only method of the Hashable class. As it's now the only method we
don't have a default implementation for it anymore (except the default
method signature).

-- Johan